Sunday, September 16, 2007

July 3, 2007 - Tuesday
FOCUS, Jr. Birdman
Current mood: contemplative

About 8 years ago, when I was serving as youth director at a small congregation, I had a phrase that I used all the time with "my kids." I don't remember where I picked it up from, but it stuck like glue...when they would get sidetracked and I needed their attention, I would make "o"s with my two hands, flip them up backwards over my eyes (like glasses) and say "Focus, Jr. Birdmen!" They would laugh and repeat after me. It worked every time.
I have always loved serving....I was raised to serve. I feel so accomplished when I know I have given some effort to someone who needed it. And even more than that, I owe so much to G-d...all I can do is serve and I want to spend all my time doing just that. My mom says I always try to give 200% to every project I work on. And she's right. I'm not against giving it "all you've got." In fact, I'm the biggest fan. But, I am learning, there is a time and a place.
Why didn't Yeshua (Jesus) cure every sick person in Jerusalem? Why didn't he free every life He walked passed? I realize now, it wasn't completely up to Him. People have to be ready to accept - whether it's change, or help or advice, people have to be ready to receive it - and not all are ready.
So, I think of all these wonderful things I could do - partly, because I am not able to do much, and partly, because I want to do it all. I come up with ideas and I have the best of intentions of following through - but it's too much, and it's not needed. When I turn around, I realize, that even though I did the best I could, not everyone is ready to accept it or need it.
So, maybe the L-rd is telling me "FOCUS, Jr. Birdman!" Maybe, He has very specific things for me to do in order to serve Him, but it is not every wonderful thing that comes to mind. Only He knows what is truly needed, so I have to follow His lead.
Bear with me as I sit back to contemplate...I might be still for a while, but there is an important voice I need to hear.

No comments: