Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sin in Me, but Not Against Flesh and Blood?

I feel like I'm fighting a battle against myself.  I try to be very "spiritual" about it, but the fact of the matter is "what I do is not the good I ant to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing."(Rom 7:16-20)

But scripture is clear: "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Eph. 6:12)

So, what is it?  the sin in me or that evil which is always against us?

I was listening to a song today, the line said: "And to say that the devil made me do it, is a cop-out and a lie.  The devil can't make me do anything when I'm calling on Jesus Christ."

No, it is not me and no it is not the "evil."  Although, both have a strong pull on me - the fact remains that I am human, I live in a sin nature.  I serve the Creator who enables me to make decisions as to whether I go right or left.  His love gives me the choice, His mercy allows me to mess up, His forgiveness takes me back.  My trust and hope must be in Him - if I seek His face, His will, His way, my tendencies and the "evil" working against me will have no stronghold.

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.  Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.  Do not err, my beloved brethren." (James 1:14-16)

Lust = me
Enticement = evil
Conception = my lustful desire conceding to the enticement

Ok, so I'm a sin-natured human.  OK, so evil is out there wanting my downfall.  BUT, the conception is ONLY when the 2 meet; sin comes ONLY when we allow our selfish desires to be fed by the evil that surrounds us.  What a hope!

I am not yet perfect, nor will I be 'till we rest with Him.  In the meantime, I can rest assured, He is with me, to enable me to "do justly, love mercy and walk humbly" with my G-D. (Micah 6:8)  Let us call on the name of the L-RD to be delivered! (Joel 2:32)

No comments: