Thursday, October 11, 2007

I love those epic movies about some war that had to be fought. All the soldiers go in with their sword and their courage, and the few, strong and brave see it though to the end. I never really stopped to think about the feeling they might have after winning a war. Yeah, you won, good. But in the process, hundreds or thousands of people lost their lives and there is a HUGE mess to be cleaned up. So, was the cause really worth the price? Is the victory worth the battle?

Well, anyway, I just came out on the other side of one of my own battles. It wasn't fought on a grassy knoll with swords or spears. It wasn't against an army of painted warriors. It wasn't really even life or death. It was not funny. It was not within the 20-min time frame. And, I don't want to hit rewind to see it again.

Nonetheless, it was a battle that needed to be fought. I had to muster up enough courage to see it through. And even though I am a little worn and torn, I can confidently tell you: Yes, it was worth the price. When we have to fight against the armies inside of us and inside of relationships we have created, we have to be prepared for a tough battle. Battling ourselves on our own terms with our own acknowledgement is maybe one of the toughest battles there is. Because the enemy doesn't die (at least not yet). The enemy in our minds and will is still there. And we know we will have to face it again. Thankfully, my strength is not my own - it was lovingly loaned to me for such times as these. So, it was worth the price, for the simple fact that I did it. And I am walking away from a bloodied field that will etch itself into my mind for the rest of my life as a reminder to not walk that way again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Col. 1:21-23a Once you were alienated from GOD and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Messiah's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation– if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven

No comments: