Monday, January 14, 2008

REMEMBERED OR FORGOTTEN

I love movies. No, really, I LOVE them. I love the escape from "real life," I love the comparisons with my reality, I love the problems needing resolutions. I love that within a span of about 2 hours, you can "get to know" someone, grow to "care" about them and see yourself in their every move.

I just have two problems with movies...one is, I just can't walk away from them. When a movie is over, I am still there, in the moment, thinking, feeling, drawing my own conclusions. I can be moved to tears, to anger, or to a gut-busting belly laugh. And I just can't walk away from it. I can't leave it behind. For at least a few more moments, maybe hours, maybe days - I am still in that moment. I can't forget.

My second problem with them is that as much as they try to include the "entirety" of a life in 2 hours - that's impossible. Real-life laughter is much dorkier. Real-life cry sessions last for hours and days. Real-life sadness can span generations. Real-life love faces daily battles of fidelity and perseverance. The incredible nature of life itself is not in the marking moments, but the daily dedication to existing for a purpose. A movie cannot do a life justice.

And now I am here. The movie is over, the 2 lovers have found sweet peace in each other's arms and the credits roll. But I am here. Left in the movie of my life. And the 2 hours never end....sometimes it seems like the boring part is lasting for days or months. The funny part doesn't last long enough and wasn't nearly as quick-witted. Or the sad part doesn't have an immediate answer to the pain. The painful part is hidden in daily activities. The things to be remembered are so easily forgotten. And I wake up, and start the script again.

So let's say someone one day many many years from now has the ridiculous idea of making a 2-hour movie of my life. A real movie. Honestly, who would want to watch that? And even if they did - you know, let's just say for criticism's sake - wouldn't they forget it as soon as the theatre exit doors opened? Is my life forgettable? Are my experiences just random occurrences that I happened to be there for? Or is it possible that I created my life - I created my opportunities? And therefor, if my life is forgettable, have I made it that way?

In one sense, I don't want to be remembered. May HE who lives in me be remembered. But for His name's sake, what am I doing so that He is recognized? Is it really prudent to live a life so easily forgettable? Was I created to NOT make an impact? Is the reason for my existence to fade into the woodwork?

I sit here in the late evening/early morning hours longing for my movie to be memorable. If it provokes emotion, if it provokes controversy, if it provokes solutions, if it provokes changes - at least it would be doing something. I feel like I am sitting here living just because that's my job...I want to live, not so that people can watch a movie about me. But I want to live to make an impact - on whoever that impact needs to be made. I will try to be quick-witted, I will try to have intelligent replies, I will try to be lovely, to be open, to be vulnerable - I can try. I just can't promise you that I will be interesting.

So, here's an idea: watch the movie for the unseen Character. He's here. He's much more intelligent, quick-witted, lovely, open and interesting than all of Hollywood put together. If my life is to serve a purpose, may it be for the purpose for which I was created and not for my own purposes. May He mold me and manipulate me to accomplish the goal He has in mind. There's a movie for you. A person, not living for themselves or anyone else, but living for their Creator - being a tool, a vehicle for the unseen. A forgettable main character with a memorable existence. May it be, and forever so.

No comments: