Saturday, January 12, 2008

MIGRAINES

Those of you who have them, no explanation is necessary. Those of you who don't - here's a brief description:

*throbbing head pain
*incredible sensitivity to light
*ANY noise is TOO MUCH
*nausea, nausea and more NAUSEA (sometimes accompanied by actual vomiting)
*hot/cold/hot/cold within seconds
*total body pain (like the flu)

What gets me is that no matter how much it is explained, those who don't have them still refer to migraines as "headaches." They are SO NOT headaches. But if you don't have them, I guess it doesn't make any difference. We all tend to analyze what we don't know by comparing it with what we do know.

So, I had a migraine today. I am one of those people who have had them since back BEFORE there were OTC migraine remedies. So, I remember vividly the days of long, countless hours - sometimes days - in the dark, with a wet towel on my head in complete silence waiting for the anguish to give up - even if just a little.

Now, thanks to Excedrin Migraine, in 30 min. I am almost back to new again. I know, I sound like a commercial. But, it is incredible. Anyway, I don't want to write to advocate one med or another. I just wanted to figure out what G-D wanted me to learn through this...through these.

I guess what hits home the most with me is that I tend to think I can understand someone when they are telling me about their life, their problems, or their situations. Then I immediately try to think of something to help remedy their problems. The fact of the matter is, unless I have personally been through it, how can I really UNDERSTAND another person's experience? Everyone has their own path, their own experiences and who am I to doubt that or to be arrogant enough to think I have seen it all? It gives me a new perspective on compassion....I can't be compassionate because I necessarily identify with their situation, but because I validate their experience and I value them as a person.

So, yeah...migraines....they stink! :o)

No comments: