Saturday, July 11, 2009

Coming Out Of Hiding

I was just looking back at the last time I posted on my blog - it was 7 months ago today.  And I don't believe in coincidence.  CAUTION:  This one is a doozy.

I really don't have words to describe what the past 7 months (and longer as you can tell by my previous posts) have been like.  A year ago today, we were ministering in Brazil with the intention of continuing full-time ministry when we returned in September.  Our plans seem to have run themselves right into the ground with a thundering crash.  The Brazil trip was wonderful and a blessing in so many ways, but when we returned our lives took a vastly different direction.  With the economic crisis, our financial support for ministry stopped almost completely and both I and my husband were basically jobless.  The congregation into which we had invested so much of our time and hearts fell to pieces all around us.  In fact, as I listen online to a congregational service now - it is more than appropriate that they are singing the very last song our worship team sang as a team - the same song that infiltrated our Brazil trip - How Great Is Our G-D.

Those first few months were tough, a test of faith and I can confidently say now - I failed.

I tried to hold on to all the Godly and faith-filled scripture, words and actions that had accompanied and supported me to this point in my life.  But this time, they did not take away pain, they did not bring peace, they did not pull me through.  My whole life, I clung to those sayings, those words of encouragement, those actions of faith and so it made no sense to me why they weren't working this time.

Here is the truth that VERY few people know - never in my life had I faced this dilemma to this degree - my relationship with the LORD withered and became next to non-existent.  Even through rebellion, depression, sickness and suicide, I had NEVER relinquished my faith and relationship with G-D.  Now, my prayers became shortened sentences of confusion and anger and they became fewer and further between until I felt absolutely no need to "seek Him" anymore.  (In fact, many people know that I was a a very dedicated person to prayer especially interceding for others - but I had to stop telling people I would pray for them, because I couldn't speak with Him anymore.)  In my understanding, He had done something I never experienced before and NEVER expected to experience.  He had not heard my cries when I was in anguish.  He had not provided for our needs.  He had not honored our dedication to Him.  In fact, at that time, the absolute lowest point of our lives, people began to attack us (not knowing they were adding to the pain) and with their comments and opinions chipped away at the last remaining pieces of my faith in G-D and His people.  Let me clarify, I am not blaming the death of my relationship with G-D on people, but in the end, they seemed to be the straw that broke this camel's back.

Who would have guessed that only a few months after my most intense efforts to serve Him, I would not even want to hear about Him anymore?

And December came - I found out I was pregnant.  Pregnant, jobless, ministry-less, church-less - I mean, that is just a BAD joke to play on someone who has nothing else to fall on.  Although I was excited about having another baby and a sibling for my daughter, this just seemed like the worst timing in the world.  But one sliver of faith found its way back - I cannot believe that life could come about in any other way than through a supreme Creator.  So, at least I accepted that He did this.  But this made things even more confusing - why me, why now - it could only complicate our situation more.

A nice-sized temporary job came to me right near the end of the month.  It would pay for some of our backed-up bills.  At least we would get a little breath above water.  And then, some blood.....

On December 26th, we went to the ER where after hours of waiting and crying over the possibility that my body was rejecting the life inside, we were told that I had a "threatened miscarriage."  In the words of the doctor: "we don't know why or how this happened, and we don't know why or how it stopped."  I had heard a speaker a while back say that once he prayed to G-D over a dead baby's body and asked G-D: "Why allow death?  It does not glorify You at this moment?"  And the baby breathed again and came back to life.  So, I immediately told the doctor, although I didn't know what caused it either, I knew why it had stopped.  (We also found out that day in the ER, that I was not as far along as we had first thought, in fact, I had probably discovered the pregnancy almost immediately.)

I was put on complete bedrest until my doctor released me from it almost 2 months later.  I realize that there are much more terrible situations and diseases in the world that people deal with, but at that moment, I didn't feel there was much else left in us that He could take away.

Little by little, I received more work.  By the end of the spring of '09, I had quite a busy schedule (at least enough to pay bills) as well as a big belly.  We discovered we were having a boy and he is quite the busy body.  I was never so hungry and exhausted with Hava as I was/am with this boy.  He seems to be quite the fighter - and with all reason.

In the same way that I felt an intense need to protect not only her, but myself physically, spiritually and emotionally during my pregnancy with Hava, I felt it even more so with this boy.  He was fighting hard enough, I wasn't going to make it any harder for him.  So, in my struggle to keep my emotions stable, I kept a great distance from G-D personally - prayer was out of the question.  I did, however, decide that if He truly was Who He claims to be, that I would look at Him through non-expectant eyes and simply study scripture as a disconnected third party.  I watched Him through the Torah (the Pentateuch, or first five books of the bible).  I realized I was further from Him than I thought.  He was on some level that I couldn't grasp.  But through that time, His Son, Yeshua (Jesus) made the Torah something more real and attainable to my mind's eye.  It's like I could relate to and even love this Yeshua - I just couldn't do that with the Father.  I started to realize that if I could find that connection with His Son and understand why and how Yeshua served and loved the Father, maybe I could come back.

Wait, what????  "Come back?"  I didn't leave!  I was there, crying, seeking, serving, searching, laying out my entire being before Him and He didn't answer!  I didn't leave - He did!

And it came to me:
*IF G-D is Who He says He is, He cannot change.
*IF G-D is truly G-D, He remains enthroned and sovereign.
*IF G-D does not change or move and I am further from Him - I must have moved.

I don't know how it happened.  I don't know when I moved or why I moved, but IF He is Who He says He is, He didn't fail me, I failed Him.

I looked back over the past year and noticed, we got behind in bills, but we never went without all the services.  We ate much more simply, but we never went hungry.  We didn't go out for entertainment, but we enjoyed our family company as well as other friends who surrounded us.  Maybe He didn't provide as He had in the past, but He also didn't leave.  He was compassionate to us while I complained about lacking.

*I've got to take a moment to give praise where praise is due - my husband held all the loose ends together during this past year.  He has done everything in his power to provide for us, protect us and to see me through this spiritual abyss.  I am so much more in love with him now, after watching him be a silent superhero to our family.*

Even though I am pregnant, I have not cried as much in the past few months as I have today writing this.  The pain of being wrong is too painful.  I have always wanted justice - I'll be the first to speak up when something is unfair.   And this feels unfair, but IF G-D is Who He says He is, there must be justice even in defeat.  I have been defeated, and so I have remained in hiding.  I am too ashamed, but with nothing to point to as the cause.  All I know, is that there is life growing inside me, strong and big and he will show us his face next month.  He will come out of "hiding" and whether we're ready or not, we will love him, provide for him and protect him.  In order for me to be where I need to be next month, I need to come out of my hiding now.

I'm sorry to those I have distanced myself from - the saying has never been more true - "it is not you, it's me."
I'm sorry I have not been able to step up and speak or act as you are accustomed.  
I'm sorry if I have not lived up to expectations, but I know that this is part of healing and renewing and stepping into the next phase of life.

This chorus struck me this week as words from the depths of my soul
(from To Know You - Nicole Nordeman):
And I, I really want to know You 
I want to make each day 
A different way that I can show You how 
I really want to love You 
Be patient with my doubt 
I'm just tryin' to figure out Your will 
And I really want to know You still



2 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this. I don't really have words, other than to say I love you and that you have been prayed FOR over these months. Thank you so much for opening up and sharing. Even with this being a post of the ick you've been in, this is a beautiful post.

Joanna said...

Beautifully written and expressed. I was reminded of an illustration that Rabbi Ben often uses. There was an elderly couple who had been married for 50 years sitting at a stop light. In the next lane over, up pulled a pick up truck with a newly married couple. The wife was sitting right up next to her husband. The elderly woman said to her husband, "I remember when we used to ride like that. Why don't we do that anymore?" and the husband replied, "Well, honey, I haven't moved..." Just thought I would share. It always cuts me to the heart when I hear it. Thanks for posting this! Love you!